homemadeeatenshop

18.2.12

Bridals

Okay, this is the last wedding post I’m sure. But I want to give you some story with it.

For those of you who didn’t know (you were probably at least guessing) I did make my wedding dress. If it weren’t for the neck line the actual sewing went relatively well. The timing was perfect because I had spent winter and spring semester working with Professor Burnham in various classes refining my sloper pattern (a basic pattern that fits all my own uniqueness). I spent a couple months making sketches and ordering swatches because I didn’t have an idea of what I wanted my dress to look like. I know, young, single, crafty and no idea what to do for her wedding?

When I was 16 I bought a wedding dress pattern on sale which I thought was perfect. I kept it around with me for years, anxiously feeling like I should of already started it because it was so huge. When the time finally came I decided it was not what I wanted. What I wanted was simple. Simple style, fabric, feel everything. Am I a simple person? Not really. Well, yes. It’s complicated. But let’s start out by making the point that I really like cloth and clothes, it seems silly to admit but it is an important aspect of my life--one that I’m almost always aware of.

I decided that my wedding would be the beginning of my new life. It would be the most beautiful day I was yet to experience, not to mention the sweetest, most important day of my life (it turns out it was) and I did not want to distract it with itchy, gaudy or uncomfortable clothing. I did not want to look at pictures of the day and see this fancy intricate gown, I wanted to see the beauty of the day, the newness, the excitement. What I thought I wanted wasn’t appropriate for how I wanted to feel that day. I’m not saying it should be like this for every lady, but it was for me. That being said--yes, I am a simple person.

The dress I designed had vintage elements. I wanted cotton because I have this snobbish aversion to 100% polyester for august afternoons (or most afternoons…), and because I liked the softness and lack of shine it had. I chose a sheer cotton voile for the top layer which had just enough sheen to be elegant, cotton broadcloth and a tissue-thin silk lining that kept me cool.The skirt was a complete circle. 6 yards of skirt X 3 layers= a lot of skirt. I scalloped the neckline and cuffed the sleeves. For fit I chose tiny pleats on the sleeve and bodice. My favorite part was the cotton lace I found at local shop Yellow Bird (which was a miracle, it took me a month online of finding nothing quite right). The dress was perfect, never have I had something fit so well (thanks Dr. Burnham), I could of worn it all day, and I feel that I was really able to create a wedding dress that showed the new beginning, the beauty and the peace that I felt that wonderful day.

And with that, some photos taken in November in a field next to my parent’s house in Toquerville, by a charming and ever talented brother-- Jason Malaska.

IMG_0271

IMG_0275

IMG_0277

IMG_0282

IMG_0322

IMG_0381

IMG_0396

IMG_0405

IMG_0430

IMG_0422

IMG_0255

 

have a beautiful day

2 comments:

  1. Shannon - your dress is BEAUTIFUL! I love the simplicity and the thought that you put into making it! You are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete