homemadeeatenshop

14.3.12

The Hungrier Games

My beautiful picture

There is a moment in every girl’s life where she realizes that her husband (and children) will always be hungrier then she thinks a human should be.

I have reached that point.

Now I’m not sure what the answer is quite yet (as mentioned earlier I’ve been searching for high fiber and high protein meals) but on this day the answer was copious amounts of salad. But not that kind of salad…

Once upon a time, coming home from our honeymoon we stopped at my parents house in Toquerville for dinner. My sister was there and made this most delicious Asian salad (recipe from pioneer woman?). It was made in the biggest bowl my mother had, and we all ate plates of it. This was the meal I needed to make to satisfy my man’s hunger and improve his health, with huge amounts of fiber and veganism. I drastically reduced the recipe here, well… it isn’t even the same recipe so ignore that but it still makes a lot.

Naturally, I didn’t have anything the recipe actually called for, so I improvised. I knew I wanted to include garbanzo beans so I could try making them in my pressure cooker.

It was just like beans in a pressure cooker, but longer. Did you know that as you soak garbanzo beans they pop? At least mine did. I thought I was crazy, but I sat and stared at the bowl of soaking beans for 5 minutes and watched the mini explosions.

Turns out it was the tastiest idea ever!

Mr. Wood ate 3 bowls of it, and could of eaten more I’m sure. We ate it as a main course, but it could easily be a side—shoot this dish has so much nutrients who needs anything else? Except maybe lemon bars.. we ate lemon bars with it.

So here it is, the newest recipe added to the Wood Kitchen: Garbonzai Pasta Salad*

*yes Mr. Wood thinks of the names for our new invented recipes.

My beautiful picture

Garbonzai Pasta Salad

serves 4-6 

1/2 head of lettuce chopped

1/2 lb pasta cooked

2 cups garbanzo beans

1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds

1/2 pasilla pepper

1/2 green pepper

Dressing:

2 tbsp Olive Oil

2 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp brown sugar

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1 dash hot sauce

1 clove crushed garlic

1/2 bunch cilantro chopped

2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds

black pepper, cayenne, and red pepper flakes to taste

1. Prepare dressing: Mix all ingredients and let it sit for 10-20 minutes for flavors to blend.

2.  Prepare ingredients for the salad, chop veggies and rinse pasta till cool. Toss beans in lemon juice and salt, and when cooled add the rest of the salad ingredients. Toss in dressing. Let it sit for 10-30 minutes and serve. Feel free to add any other veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes or red peppers

wait, that was too easy….

Shannon

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment